Saturday, October 20, 2007

I have declared this an afternoon for William Carlos Williams

I will enjoy my vacation in Paterson for a while.

Not to say that I don't get distracted by other things, though. Earlier, for example, I reread one of the Upanishads (a philosophical Hindu text). To me, that is far more pleasant and sane religious material than popular (hopefully not) 'religious' men on the radio who say that Jesus hates government run medicine and insurance programs. There is no evidence that any such being with any such hatreds is out there anywhere. It doesn't matter how many communities out there believe that... after all there were many white people in the south not so long ago that firmly believed that slavery was right and proper... or that women should stay at home at graciously submit to their husbands (as Hitler and Mussolini believed). Popular belief does not make things true and intelligent human beings have the right to stop consuming these poisons for the sake of their own well being. I trust the Williams, at least, would not have been the sort of doctor that says something like 'Boy, I'm glad I have more tax cut money to spend on my gun collection, big boats, and top-of-the-line home entertainment systems than on those damned poor kids who think they should have better health care.' His opinions are a little dated here and there, but he has a sense of humanity and unwillingness to support business and religious thuggishness.

For that matter I should go back and reread Spinoza (the brightest star of his age) and some others I think of now. I think of Ibsen and more associations.

I really enjoyed Williams essay, though I found it a little vague at times.

His poetry is wonderful, though I need to settle down into it. I will do that now again.

No comments: