Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Sources

Everything influences what I write and the number of influences is too vast to put down. I've always pursued many different experiences and exposed myself to many different ideas. It is not enough simply to like and name those I (and say a small group near me) like, rather I've sought out voices and experiences outside of that. For example, in terms of live music concerts I've been at (and enjoyed--I'll not include those I didn't enjoy): The Ring of the Niebelungen by Richard Wagner, Ani Difranco, Joan Baez, Jethro Tull, Rage against the Machine, Tegan & Sara, Nine Inch Nails, Philip Glass, Placido Domingo, renaissance music ensembles, Smashing Pumpkins, local jazz musicians, jam bands at Terrapin Station, a Bob Marley tribute band, various techno/trance mixers, Wah! (hindu/kirtan), Vietnamese Buddhist monks chanting, individual musicians playing for pocket change in New York City's subways, and so on. As far as poetry goes, there is as wide a range.
Although I could potentially write in many different styles, I feel drawn toward certain things over others. For example, I feel nothing but admiration for Beethoven, love modern dance, and love somewhat chaotic urban streets. On the other hand, I feel indifferent to modernist architecture, computer hardware, well-mowed lawns, and television shows I watched as a child. I connect with the literal and symbolic richness in the natural world: sun, moon, ocean, ancient forests, eagles, caves, and so on. I love animals more by far than cars. I have always liked fantasy more than the world of law/cops/burglars/all those yawns (of course I've watched some of that in the past, but now...). I like when a work of art builds together archaic and contemporary--I imagine now a performance of a dance by the Mark Morris company called Dido and Aeneus...
I don't interpret the world with television or clique chatter as my measuring sticks. Thus I do not say something brainless like people in Meridian are great people to raise kids around, to live around, while those people in LA county, Albuquerque, El Paso, San Jose, etc. are evil or scary. That is an absolutely loathsome opinion and I suspect people get that from watching too much television (where they become frightened of people whose culture they don't get and the world seems a dangerous place) and spending all their time with people like themselves.
At this point, I am still experimenting with my work. Perhaps I will always enjoy experimenting with different stuff. Who knows? One poem I've played with in my mind recently is called the Second Coming of the Chicken Messiah. On the other hand I imagine a poem of crumbled leaves in the gutter and bikes tires treading them. Also...

1 comment:

Emily said...

i want to read a poem of crumbled leaves in the gutter and bikes tires treading them. please do write this.